Monday, June 25, 2007

Newness

As of June 24, 4:00 pm Cavern Time, the Great Zero is up and working! We've been doing the calibration missions for some time now, and Laxman finally got enough info to get the thing working again.

So now we have our pretty blue line scanning the Island again. Yeah!

Also, Cate has been making some announcements. Apparently they are working on a new Age to release in the coming months, called "Jalek". It was a D'ni gaming arena, though they won't elaborate on what kinds of gaming went on there. Sounds like it could be cool.

Also, Er'cana is going to be released this week. I'm very excited about that. I was there a few years ago, just a couple times, shortly after the DRC left the Cavern for the first time. I haven't been back since, though I love the place. With access through the newly remodeled Watchers Pub, I can't wait to return!

And with that comes the possibility of relighting the Lake. I remember that Kadish had originally used the machinery in the Er'cana factory to produce pellets, which when dropped in the lake via a link to the Uran Silo, caused it to glow brighter for a few seconds. While a lot of research still needs to be done in regards to the Lake algae, perhaps we can start conducting experiments to find out if there's a way to indeed restimulate their growth and light cycling.

My concern is people will start dumping pellets in the lake without regard for the unknowns in the lake ecology. Until we know the nature of the algae, the nature of the poison that killed it, and the nature of the pellets themselves and how they can stimulate the algae, I'm hesitant to encourage full scale "pellet dumping". I need to find Laxman and get some info from him.

No comments: