Thursday, June 28, 2007

Moving Forward

Events are moving along quickly, and I'm finding it hard to keep up. It's tough just following the news, let alone making time to try and have a hand in it!

I caught Doug briefly last night, just as he was heading out to Noloben. I feel better after having talked to him. He's most definetly not going on a killing spree. He's going to do some observations of the Bahro. Doug expects that there'll be a war going on, and he wants to watch what happens and see if he can't learn more about the Bahro so we can deal with them intelligently. He expressly said he wouldn't kill one except in self defense.

God help him if he gets found though...

On a different topic, Laxman dropped off some sort of machine on the ferry docks to monitor the light levels in the lake. I haven't talked to him or actually seen it yet. I wonder if it's a spectrophotometer that measures light levels, or a population counter, or a nutrient sampler, or a... Like I said, I should try and chat with Laxman, or at least go poke at the thing.

I also briefly visited Er'cana, and it's as marvelous as I remember. Didn't spend much time there, just wandered the canyon for a few minutes. I'll try and get into the manufacturing complex in the next couple of days, and get to work on the pellets. According to the DRC, different pellet recipes will have different results, including some that are actually harmful to the algae. I'm going to make it my top priority to find out what factors contribute to the "bad" pellets, so we can warn people.

1 comment:

Ruby O'Degee said...

Shorah Rils:

Long time no see in cavern, but yes, I am still around. Still working away at CCN and taking socialization courses at D'ni School of Knowledge, which brings me to you.

Veralun (still co-admin at CCN, as you most likely know) said that someplace on Uru Live or the DRC forum you posted about the issue of dropping pellets into the water. He said you expressed reservations about the matter. I'm also expressing reservations about this matter, and I wonder if others feel the same way I do.

No one at CCN feels the same way I do. They all appreciate having more "filming light" in the cavern and something to do (or cover). My problems with any lighting of the cavern harkens back to the time of Shomat. I sorta see this whole thing as an ecological mess waiting to happen. Am I a lone voice? Just drop me a line, if you have a moment----You know this story is supposed to be about explorers making choices, but as yet I've not seen any choices being made. Everyone seems to go along with the DRC's (author's) plans just swimmingly. No"body" who has been around for several years like we have would ever want to swim in the lakewater, so why is everyone wanting to jump at (or in) the chance to fill the lake with algae proliferating pellets?

Shorah and sincerely,

Ruby O'Degee

Oh, by the way it was very much fun to see you show up in the story awhile back. I always considered you one of the good hats, Rils.