Friday, March 16, 2007

Sharper

I caught Nick the other day, as he was on his way to go shooting with Doug. He invited me to come along, which was unexpected!

We met in his Teledahn, and Sharper joined us a little later. I hadn't met him before, interesting guy. I couldn't quite figure out how to read him. He showed up in a boat of a sort I'd never seen before. Metal probably, good chance of D'ni design. He had no idea; just scrounged it up somewhere I imagine.

He took us across Shroomie Bay and around the point, to a cove where he had some stuff laying around. Old mushroom chunks, random junk parts, stuff like that. Doug also had a variety of guns for us to practice with, and we spent some time blowing mushrooms into bits. I've used rifles before, so at least I know what end gets pointed at the target, but I'm definetly a little rusty. Doug had a huge ole gun that was his favorite. Nick and I christened it "Big Betsy", which Doug didn't appreciate, so of course the name stuck.

Watching Doug and Nick is funny. Doug is a tough guy, and doesn't take crap from anyone. Except Nick. Sharper lets Nick bug him in ways he'd never let anybody else. He dishes it right back of course, it's nice to see they are good friends. I'm definetly feeling the third wheel here, but that's ok.

They won't tell me much about what's in Negilahn, trying to keep my first impressions unbiased I suppose. However, I'm not dumb, and what I'm reading between the lines is interesting.

The carcasses are killed and generally left to rot it seems. Surplus killing - no point to it. Nick described the results as "scary". Even Doug seems uncomfortable with it; he's pretty solid, but every once in awhile I'd catch something in his eye that didn't sit right.

We talked about maybe going for our first trip tonight, though I still haven't heard back on the particulars. I think I've managed to get the basic equipment that I'll need, and I'm feeling like I'm about as ready as I can get! Doug needs to sort out a few final details and we'll give it a go.

If I don't come back, my sister can have my music collection and Dave gets the fish. Sell the rest and give the money to the DZS!

No comments: